Measuring for Curtains
Please take a moment to ensure you order the correct size.
If you would like help or have any questions please contact us.
- Always try to use a metal tape measure.
- Fit your curtain track or pole first to get an accurate size.
- Our ready-made curtains are sold in pairs (unless indicated).
- For example: Buy 46 inch x 72 inch curtains, and you will get two curtains each measuring 46 inches wide and 72 inches long.
- Sizes are those of each curtain.
- The first size is always the approximate width of the curtain and the second the approximate overall length.
Measure the width of your curtain track or pole. Do not include any end finials.
Do not measure the width of the window. Remember you are covering the width of your pole/track, not the width of the window.
If you have still to fit a track or pole, this usually fits about 4 – 6 inches (10 – 15 cm) above the window and projects about 6 inches (15 cm) past each side.
Curtains need to be a lot wider than the track or pole to produce an attractive ‘full’ look when gathered.
For curtains with a 3-inch (75 mm) tape heading, it is usual for the combined width of the curtains to be double (or as near as possible) the length of the track or pole. We strongly advise that you do not use sizes adding up to less than 1.5 times the track length.
For your convenience please refer to this guide chart:
|Curtains Measuring Guide|
|To fit Track/Pole||Up to 48 inches (122 cm)||48 – 66 inches (122-168 cm)||66″ – 90″ (168 – 228 cm)|
|Ready-Made Curtain Size||46 inches (117 cm)||66 inches (168 cm)||90 inches (228 cm)|
|Made-to-Measure Curtains||1 width of fabric per curtain||1½ widths of fabric per curtain||2 widths of fabric per curtain|
Curtains with eyelet headings may use slightly less width but, if you want the curtains to close and not to look flat when closed, we recommend you use no less than 1½ times the amount of fabric to the track length.
Decide where you wish the curtains to finish.
• Using an eyelet heading on a curtain pole, measure from the top of the pole. The curtain top will start approximately 1.5 inches above the pole so allow for this in your size.
• Using a 3-inch tape heading on a curtain track, measure from the top of the track.
• Using a 3-inch tape heading on a curtain pole, measure from the small eye on the ring.
Popular finishing positions are:
• Sill length: We suggest that these finish approx. 0.5 inch (1.5 cm) above the window sill.
• Below the sill: We suggest 6 inches (15 cm) below the sill is about right for most people.
• Floor length: We suggest that the curtains end between ½ and 1 inch above the floor. Remember to allow for any flooring (if this is not down when measuring).